AlohaCare's Ke Aloha Mau program is a Value-Added Service (VAS). It is offered at no cost to AlohaCare’s eligible members. The program uses traditional, cultural, and spiritual approaches to health and healing. It also supports whole person care. Ke Aloha Mau includes four areas of Native Hawaiian healing:
- Lomilomi: Native Hawaiian physiotherapy and massage
- `Ai Pono: Healthy Native Hawaiian food and meals
- Hula: Native Hawaiian physical movement and dance
- Ho`oponopono: Native Hawaiian balancing of relationships
The program is provided in collaboration with community health centers; the Native Hawaiian Health Care Systems; and cultural practitioners. These VAS will be introduced through 2022 and continue at least through 2026.
Hula is the Native Hawaiian traditional dance form. The Hula benefit offers a cultural way to improve health through increased physical movement.
Hula can improve range of motion; mobility; balance; and flexibility. Hula’s physical activity can help with health issues such as reducing high blood pressure and chronic fatigue. It can provide increased social interaction and may improve how you feel about your health.
Eligibility requires that you:
- Are a current AlohaCare QUEST Integration member.
- Are between the ages of 10-64 years old. Members under age 18 need parent or guardian consent.
- Live within the service area region of the contracted sites.
- Have a primary care provider or be assigned to the PCMH of the site provider.
- Have had an annual well visit within one year of eligibility screening.
- Complete necessary health assessments with your AlohaCare Health Coordinator or Care Navigator within 8-12 weeks of enrolling in the VAS.
- Provide updated contact information.
The benefit covers the following consultation and in-person services for eligible members:
- $20/session; 96 sessions per year or $900 annual coverage limit, whichever comes first.
- Limit 1 session per day; limit 2 sessions per week; limit 8 sessions per month.
- Authorization for more can be reviewed on case-by-case basis.
- Member is a no show to 3 scheduled classes.
- Member does not participate in at least 3 health promotion activities every 6 months (in-person or online).
- Member reaches the covered service limit within one year. See list above.
- Member has disenrolled from AlohaCare's QUEST Integration plan.
Health promotion activities include self-directed education. This includes watching a video with health professionals and local experts. Live learning sessions will be planned when safe to meet in large groups.
The program has started in 2022 at one location initially. The site provider location is:
The program is just beginning. We plan to add new locations and classes over the next few years.
Please call AlohaCare’s Customer Service at 808-973-0712, toll-free 1-877-973-0712, or TTY/TDD 1-877-447-5990
You can refer an eligible family member who is a current AlohaCare QUEST Integration member. However, the enrolling member will be required to follow-up and complete the intake form independently.
A primary care provider’s clearance is required for someone who has a disability. Accommodations may vary and will be determined by each participating location.
Please contact AlohaCare’s Customer Service or your AlohaCare health coordinator for more information. You can also visit www.alohacare.org/VAS.