AlohaCare's Ke Aloha Mau program is a Value-Added Service (VAS). It is offered at no cost to AlohaCare’s eligible members. The program uses traditional, cultural, and spiritual approaches to health and healing. It also supports whole person care. Ke Aloha Mau includes four areas of Native Hawaiian healing:
- Lomilomi: Native Hawaiian physiotherapy and massage
- `Ai Pono: Healthy Native Hawaiian food and meals
- Hula: Native Hawaiian physical movement and dance
- Ho`oponopono: Native Hawaiian balancing of relationships
The program is provided in collaboration with community health centers; the Native Hawaiian Health Care Systems; and cultural practitioners. These VAS will be introduced through 2022 and continue at least through 2026.
`Ai Pono is the traditional Native Hawaiian practice of using food and meals to nourish the body, mind, spirit, and environment. ‘Ai Pono offers local and cultural healthy foods that support sustainable, healthy lifestyles.
The `ai pono diet has been found to help prevent some health challenges. It can support kidney health and blood sugar and blood pressure control. There are also reports of improving headaches, acne, and fatigue. `Ai Pono can align the spirit with the mind and body. We know where the food is coming from and who prepares it.
Eligibility requires that you:
- Are a current AlohaCare QUEST Integration member.
- Are between the ages of 12 - 64 years old. Members under age 18 need parent or guardian consent.
- Live within the service area region of the contracted sites.
- Have a primary care provider or be assigned to the PCMH of the site provider.
- Have had an annual well-check visit within one year of eligibility screening.
- Complete necessary health assessments with your AlohaCare Health Coordinator or Care Navigator within 8-12 weeks of enrolling in the VAS.
- Provide updated contact information.
The benefit covers the following consultation and in-person services for eligible members:
- $12/meal; $36/day; $108/3 days per week of food and meals per year or $2,400 annual coverage limit, whichever comes first.
- Limit 3 meals per day; limit 9 meals per week; limit 36 meals per month; limit 216 meals per year.
- Limit 24 total weeks annual continuous coverage limit.
- Authorization for more can be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Member is a no show to 3 scheduled pick-ups or drop offs.
- Member does not participate in at least 3 health promotion activities every 6 months (in-person or online).
- Member reaches the covered service limit within one year. See list above.
- Member has disenrolled from AlohaCare's QUEST Integration plan.
Health promotion activities include self-directed education. This includes watching a video with health professionals and local experts. Live learning sessions will be planned when safe to meet in large groups.
The program starts in early 2022. Site provider locations to be determined.
The program is just beginning. We plan to add new locations and classes over the next few years.
Please call AlohaCare’s Customer Service at 808-973-0712, toll-free 1-877-973-0712, or TTY/TDD 1-877-447-5990
You can refer an eligible family member who is a current AlohaCare QUEST Integration member. However, the enrolling member will be required to follow-up and complete the intake form independently.
Your primary care provider will need to clear you for participation if you have a disability. Accommodations may vary and are determined by each site provider.
Please contact AlohaCare’s Customer Service or your AlohaCare health coordinator for more information. You can also visit www.alohacare.org/VAS.