***GRANT UPDATE: Information for the 2013 AlohaCare Community Conscience Award will be available beginning July 1. Grant criteria are subject to change annually.
In March 2008, AlohaCare introduced the AlohaCare Community Conscience Award as a tribute to a long-time community advocate. This grant program is specifically for Hawaii non-profit organizations working to improve the health of Hawaii’s communities. AlohaCare was inspired to create this grant to honor Frank Chong, a founding board member of AlohaCare and our Manager of Government and Community Relations who died on March 8, 2008. "Frank was the conscience of our community. He tirelessly devoted his life to people who are most often forgotten,” said John McComas, Chief Executive Officer of AlohaCare.
Each year AlohaCare awards a total of $30,000 in grants to Hawaii non-profits. Criteria for the grant include:
- Organization must be a non-profit 501(c)3 or of an equivalent tax exempt IRS status. (Documentation required.)
- This award excludes community health centers (CHCs), as AlohaCare is currently supporting Hawaii’s CHCs through its quality improvement initiatives.
Project must focus on one or more of the following categories:
Health and Wellness Programs: Programs must focus on educating others on the prevention and/or treatment of the following criteria:
- Child and adolescent well-care visits and immunizations
- Obesity (child and/or adult)
- Women's health (e.g. breast cancer, cervical cancer, timely prenatal and postpartum care)
Access to Care: Programs must reduce barriers to health care, which may include:
- Lack of transportation
- Lack of health insurance
- Language or cultural barriers
- Shortage of providers in rural areas
Aged, Blind and Disabled Populations: Programs must benefit the overall health and wellness of Hawaii’s kupuna or for those who are medically fragile and medically disadvantaged.
- Programs for the aged, blind and/or disabled
- Senior Health
For more information about the AlohaCare Community Conscience Award, please contact Rachel Mark at firstname.lastname@example.org